Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Politics & Government
Fri December 21, 2012
Cooper Green Hospital announces layoffs
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A hospital operated by Jefferson County has announced 200 employees — including the CEO — will be laid off beginning Dec. 31. Officials say Cooper Green Mercy Hospital is downsizing as the facility transitions to an urgent and primary care center. The hospital announced the layoffs in a letter Thursday. Officials say medical clerks, staff nurses, patient care technicians and others will be placed on administrative leave without pay. The hospital currently operates as a general care center and is ending inpatient and emergency room services. The facility currently employs 528 people.