Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Politics & Government
Fri December 21, 2012
Cooper Green Hospital announces layoffs
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A hospital operated by Jefferson County has announced 200 employees — including the CEO — will be laid off beginning Dec. 31. Officials say Cooper Green Mercy Hospital is downsizing as the facility transitions to an urgent and primary care center. The hospital announced the layoffs in a letter Thursday. Officials say medical clerks, staff nurses, patient care technicians and others will be placed on administrative leave without pay. The hospital currently operates as a general care center and is ending inpatient and emergency room services. The facility currently employs 528 people.