Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Cooper Green Mercy Hospital
Wed February 27, 2013
Cooper Green Beds May be Sold to Gadsden Hospital
Jefferson County is taking another step in the ongoing process of ending inpatient care at Cooper Green Mercy Health Service.
WBRC-TV reports (http://bit.ly/YzzRU4) that Jefferson County commissioners are scheduled to vote Thursday on a plan to sell eight psychiatric beds to Gadsden Regional Medical Center.
The county commission earlier decided to quit admitting patients to the Birmingham hospital because of the cost to taxpayers in Jefferson County, which is both bankrupt because of its sewer debt and struggling to balance its main operating budget.
The commission says the hospital cost the county about $14 million last fiscal year.
Information from: WBRC-TV, http://www.myfoxal.com/
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Arts & Life
Closing Cooper Green