Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Cooper Green Mercy Hospital
Wed February 27, 2013
Cooper Green Beds May be Sold to Gadsden Hospital
Jefferson County is taking another step in the ongoing process of ending inpatient care at Cooper Green Mercy Health Service.
WBRC-TV reports (http://bit.ly/YzzRU4) that Jefferson County commissioners are scheduled to vote Thursday on a plan to sell eight psychiatric beds to Gadsden Regional Medical Center.
The county commission earlier decided to quit admitting patients to the Birmingham hospital because of the cost to taxpayers in Jefferson County, which is both bankrupt because of its sewer debt and struggling to balance its main operating budget.
The commission says the hospital cost the county about $14 million last fiscal year.
Information from: WBRC-TV, http://www.myfoxal.com/
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Arts & Life
Closing Cooper Green