Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Mon August 2, 2004
Convicted Murderer Returned to Bryce
By Alabama Public Radio
Tuscaloosa, AL – A convicted murderer who escaped from Bryce Hospital four months ago is back in Tuscaloosa. Michael Douglas Hart was extradited from Salt Lake City on a Governor's warrant by the Tuscaloosa County sheriff's department. He arrived at the sheriff's hangar at the Tuscaloosa airport Sunday afternoon. Hart turned himself in to Utah authorities in April -- more than a month after he escaped from the state mental health hospital. The Huntsville resident was found guilty of murder by mental defect or disease for the 1997 killing and dismembering of his stepfather.