Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri January 3, 2014
Contract Approved For New Alabama State President
The trustees of Alabama State University have approved a two-year contract that pays new President Gwendolyn Boyd $300,000 annually.
The board, including Gov. Robert Bentley, approved the contract unanimously Friday. It includes benefits, such as a president's home.
University spokesman Ken Mullinax said Boyd will start Feb. 1. She has been executive assistant to the chief of staff of the Applied Physics Lab at John Hopkins University.
She replaces Joseph Silver, who left in late 2012. He had an annual salary of $325,000, but only served a few months.
The ASU trustees voted to hire Boyd last month. She grew up in Montgomery and got her bachelor's degree from Alabama State. She has a master's in mechanical engineering from Yale University and a doctorate in divinity from Howard University.
Alabama State Presidency
Alabama State University Audit