Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
Wed November 20, 2013
Consultant Warns Of Tuscaloosa Housing Saturation
A housing study projects that at current growth rates, the private student housing market in Tuscaloosa will outpace University of Alabama student demand by 2015.
The Tuscaloosa News reports that results of the study were shared with a city council committee Tuesday.
Consultant Joe Zanola told the committee that the current list of student housing bedrooms that are either planned or under construction "greatly exceeds" forecasts for enrollment growth at the University of Alabama.
Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox formed the task force in June and tasked it with addressing the boom in new student housing developments. The task force's goal has been to develop a series of policies for the City Council to consider.