Most Active Stories
- Updated: Future of Wind Power in Alabama at a Defining Moment
- Adapted Athletics in Alabama Part 1: The Rolling Tide
- Understanding How Employers May Change Your Retirement Fund
- Hard Times at the Mill: International Paper to Close Courtland Facility
- Bill Would Allow Loaded Guns in Cars Without Concealed Carry Permit
Wed November 20, 2013
Consultant Warns Of Tuscaloosa Housing Saturation
A housing study projects that at current growth rates, the private student housing market in Tuscaloosa will outpace University of Alabama student demand by 2015.
The Tuscaloosa News reports that results of the study were shared with a city council committee Tuesday.
Consultant Joe Zanola told the committee that the current list of student housing bedrooms that are either planned or under construction "greatly exceeds" forecasts for enrollment growth at the University of Alabama.
Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox formed the task force in June and tasked it with addressing the boom in new student housing developments. The task force's goal has been to develop a series of policies for the City Council to consider.