Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- Gay marriage update, homeless census and National Drug Facts Week
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
Wed November 20, 2013
Consultant Warns Of Tuscaloosa Housing Saturation
A housing study projects that at current growth rates, the private student housing market in Tuscaloosa will outpace University of Alabama student demand by 2015.
The Tuscaloosa News reports that results of the study were shared with a city council committee Tuesday.
Consultant Joe Zanola told the committee that the current list of student housing bedrooms that are either planned or under construction "greatly exceeds" forecasts for enrollment growth at the University of Alabama.
Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox formed the task force in June and tasked it with addressing the boom in new student housing developments. The task force's goal has been to develop a series of policies for the City Council to consider.