Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Alabama Veterans Cemetery
Thu April 11, 2013
Consecration Set for Alabama Veterans Cemetery
The state Department of Veterans Affairs is planning a consecration service for Alabama's new Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Spanish Fort on April 17.
A department spokesman said representatives of different religions will offer blessings and conduct rituals appropriate to their faiths during the 10 a.m. service. He said the service is in preparation for the cemetery's first interments.
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs awarded the state a $7 million grant to develop the cemetery on a 120-acre site on Alabama Highway 225. Work began on the cemetery in October 2011.