Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Mon May 3, 2004
Community Celebrates Shrimp Season
By Alabama Public Radio
Bayou La Batre, AL – Bayou La Batre celebrated its 55th annual Blessing of the Fleet Sunday. Dozens of decorated shrimp boats participated. The event marks the beginning of the shrimp season on the Gulf Coast. A wreath was dropped into the water to honor the 24 fishermen who have died while shrimping. Afterward, the shrimp boats, charter vessels and marine patrol boats received blessings and a sprinkling of holy water from Oscar Lipscomb, Archbishop of Mobile. "Forest Gump" author Winston Groom was the parade's grand marshal. His Gump character spent some time working on a shrimp boat based in Bayou La Batre.