Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Mon May 3, 2004
Community Celebrates Shrimp Season
By Alabama Public Radio
Bayou La Batre, AL – Bayou La Batre celebrated its 55th annual Blessing of the Fleet Sunday. Dozens of decorated shrimp boats participated. The event marks the beginning of the shrimp season on the Gulf Coast. A wreath was dropped into the water to honor the 24 fishermen who have died while shrimping. Afterward, the shrimp boats, charter vessels and marine patrol boats received blessings and a sprinkling of holy water from Oscar Lipscomb, Archbishop of Mobile. "Forest Gump" author Winston Groom was the parade's grand marshal. His Gump character spent some time working on a shrimp boat based in Bayou La Batre.