Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Tue November 27, 2012
Commodores Headline Mobile's Moon Pie Drop
Mobile's annual Moon Pie Drop on New Year's Eve will feature the Commodores and a laser and fireworks show.
City officials say the free outdoor celebration will start with Mardi Gras-style parade at 7:30 p.m. Then several bands, including Mobile's own Wet Willie Band, will perform before the Commodores hit the stage at 11 p.m.
For the fifth year, a 12-foot-tall electronic Moon Pie will descend from the 34-story RSA BankTrust building at midnight. A laser and fireworks show will welcome in 2013.
Mayor Sam Jones said a live 35-minute telecast of the Moon Pie Drop will be shown on 20 TV stations in the Central Time Zone.
Mobile uses the Moon Pie to celebrate New Year's Eve because the sweet treat is a popular throw on Mardi Gras floats.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.