Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu April 8, 2004
Committee Rejects Judiciary Restrictions
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The state House Judiciary Committee barely rejected a bill Wednesday that would have prevented the Alabama Court of the Judiciary from removing judges from office. The vote was seven to six. Representative Mark Gaines supports the bill and told committee members such power should be reserved for the Legislature. But committee chairman Representative Marcel Black opposed the bill, saying there needs to be a mechanism for removing judges. The bill would have allowed the Court to suspend judges only. The Court of the Judiciary voted to remove former Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore from office.