Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed February 2, 2005
Committee Approves Gay Marriage Ban Proposal
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The House Constitution and Elections Committee has overwhelmingly approved a constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriage in the state. The vote was 12 to two. The bill calls for a statewide referendum on the issue to be scheduled at the same time as the June 2006 party primaries. Republicans, however, want the referendum to be held during the general election that November. They say the general election will attract more voters than the primary. Eleven states passed same-sex marriage bans on election day last year.