Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Thu January 15, 2004
Commission Wants More Disclosure On Gun Buyers
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The Alabama Criminal Justice Information System Commission wants the state to begin disclosing more information about potential gun owners to an FBI database.
The commission wants the state to report people who have been involuntarily committed to mental hospitals. This, following the death of two Athens police officers, who authorities say were shot by a man who was allowed to buy an assault rifle, even though he had been involuntarily committed on five different ocassions.
Farron Barksdale is charged in the shootings. He passed a background check because Alabama is one of a number of states that don't report the information.