Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Fri August 23, 2013
College Republican Upsets Some Older GOP Members
A college Republican leader has upset some older Republicans in Alabama by supporting gay marriage.
The chairwoman of the College Republican Federation of Alabama, Stephanie Petelos, spoke in favor of the U.S. Supreme Court decision striking down the Defense of Marriage Act.
The Republican State Executive Committee is scheduled to consider a bylaws change Saturday that would remove people like Petelos from the party's steering committee if they speak out against issues in the party's platform without the steering committee's approval. Proponent Don Wallace of Tuscaloosa said traditional marriage is a cornerstone of the party's platform and people on the 21-member steering committee shouldn't use their position to criticize the party platform.
The Young Republican Federation of Alabama and the Alabama Minority GOP are urging the defeat of the proposal.
Alabama GOP-Gay Marriage