Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Science & Health
Thu July 31, 2014
Cold Air Sets New Records Across Alabama
Unusually cold air is setting records -- breaking some marks that have stood for more than a century -- for low temperatures across Alabama.
The National Weather Service reports that several record low temperatures for July 30 were shattered early Wednesday morning.
In Anniston, Wednesday morning's low of 54 was far lower than the previous record of 61 for the date, which was set in 1903.
Birmingham's low of 57 Wednesday broke the previous record of 61 from 1994.
In Montgomery, the low of 59 on Wednesday broke a previous record of 66, which was recorded in 1889.
In Huntsville, Wednesday's low of 56 broke the previous record of 60 from 1914.
Muscle Shoals' low of 55 broke the previous record of 56, also set in 1914.