Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri June 18, 2004
Charges Expected In Bham Police Killings
By Alabama Public Radio
Birmingham, AL – Three Birmingham police officers were shot and killed Thursday afternoon when they went to a house to arrest a man for a misdemeanor. The officers were identified as Harley Chisholm the third, Charles Robert Bennett and Carlos Owen. Owen had been on the force for 26 years...Chisholm for six...and Bennett had been on the force for only three years. Kerry Spencer and Nathaniel Woods have been booked on suspicion of capital murder. Police say charges could come as early as Friday. Birmingham Police Chief Annetta Nunn says the officers went to the house with a fourth officer to arrest Woods on a misdemeanor domestic assault warrant. Someone other than Woods allegedly fired the fatal shots and was being questioned. Nunn says the fourth officer was not injured.