Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri March 18, 2005
Centobie Execution Set for April 28
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – An execution date has been set for prison escapee and convicted murderer Mario Centobie. Officials say Centobie will be executed April 28. He was sentenced to death for the killing of Moody police officer Keith Turner during a 1998 crime spree. Turner stopped Centobie and another inmate of Mississippi's Parchman Prison in a stolen car. The inmates had escaped from officers who were escorting them to a court hearing two days earlier. Centobie shot the officer three times, including once in the hip and in the back of his head. Authorities later captured Centobie near Biloxi. The Supreme Court did not accept Centobie's appeal for review in 2003. He was also sentenced to three life prison terms for wounding Tuscaloosa police Captain Cecil Lancaster during his crime spree across the state.