Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Politics & Government
Fri May 24, 2013
Candidates lining up to replace Mobile Congressman Jo Bonner
The campaign to replace U.S. Rep. Jo Bonner of Mobile has begun one day after he announced he would step down in August to take a job with the University of Alabama System. Republican state Rep. Randy Davis of Daphne said Friday that he will run in the 1st District race. Davis says the district "needs a conservative trench fighter who will stare down the D.C. liberals." Davis is a retired educator who is serving his third term in the Legislature. Several others have indicated they are considering the race, including former Republican gubernatorial candidate Bradley Byrne. Gov. Robert Bentley will have to set a date for the special election to fill Bonner's seat.