Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- Gay marriage update, homeless census and National Drug Facts Week
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
Politics & Government
Mon February 24, 2014
Candidates from Democratic Family Nixed by GOP
The son and daughter-in-law of former Democratic House Speaker Tom Drake have lost their bids to run for major Alabama offices as Republicans.
The Alabama Republican Party's Candidate Committee did not grant ballot access to Cullman attorneys Tommy Drake and Kimberly Drake during a Saturday meeting in Montgomery.
Tommy Drake had signed up to run against Republican incumbent Robert Aderholt in the 4th Congressional District. Kimberly Drake was running against Republican incumbent Beth Kellum for the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals.
State Party Chairman Bill Armistead says both had run for public office before as Democrats and they showed no evidence they had ever been Republicans.
Tommy Drake says he and his wife have voted for and contributed to Republicans, but his well-known father remains a Democrat.