Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu June 24, 2004
Calera State's Fastest Growing City
By Alabama Public Radio
Calera, AL – The latest U.S. census estimates are out...and the numbers say Calera was Alabama's fastest growing city from 2002 to 2003. The city grew 19-point-three percent in that time. The estimates also show that most of the population growth was in the state's suburban areas. Five of the fastest growing cities are within 30 miles of Birmingham. The second fastest growing city was Millbrook in Elmore County near Montgomery...that was followed by the Huntsville suburb of Madison and the Birmingham suburbs of Pelham and Helena. Calera, Pelham and Helena are all in Shelby County. The census figures say it's Alabama's fastest growing county. The estimates did not change the ranking of the state's largest cities. Birmingham is still on top with almost 237 thousand people. It's followed by Montgomery, Mobile and Huntsville.