Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed May 25, 2005
Cain James Kennedy Dies
By Alabama Public Radio
Mobile, AL – Alabama's first black circuit judge and a former legislator has died. Cain James Kennedy was 68 years old when he died Friday. Kennedy served in Mobile County circuit court from his appointment in 1979 until his retirement in 1998. He received degrees from Los Angeles City College and California State University in Los Angeles. He earned his law degree from George Washington University in 1971, and he was a retired captain in the U.S. Navy Reserve. Kennedy was elected to the Alabama House in 1974. He's survived by his wife and two children. His funeral will be Thursday night at Mount Sinai Missionary Baptist Church in Whistler. The burial is scheduled for Friday morning in Glover's Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery.