Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Tue October 8, 2013
Job Cuts In The Works At Alcatel-Lucent
Originally published on Tue October 8, 2013 7:26 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
NPR business news begins with high-tech job cuts.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
INSKEEP: The French and American telecommunications manufacturer, Alcatel-Lucent, confirmed this morning it plans to cut 10,000 jobs worldwide. A company statement said 2,100 of those cuts will be from its operations in North and South America.
Now Alcatel-Lucent has been losing money for years. About a quarter of its staff are based in the United States, where the company runs the Nobel Prize-winning Bell Labs research facility.
Today's announcement appears to be part of a restructuring aimed at shifting the company's focus toward high-speed broadband and Internet products. The cuts are planned by the end of 2015. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.