Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Thu August 22, 2013
Asian Markets Move Lower On News From Fed Meeting
Originally published on Thu August 22, 2013 11:43 am
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
We'll begin NPR's business news with fallout from the Fed.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
GREENE: Stock markets across Asia fell and India's currency continued its plunge after minutes from the July meeting of the Federal Reserve were released yesterday. The records from that meeting showed that officials were comfortable with scaling back its huge bond-buying program as the economy grows stronger.
This is bad news for emerging markets, because investors will be returning to U.S. bond markets to go after rising interest rates. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.