Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Wed August 21, 2013
Earnings Report On Home Depot And J.C. Penney
Originally published on Wed August 21, 2013 11:03 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
NPR's business news starts with some home improvement.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
MONTAGNE: Home Depot says it had one of the best quarters in recent history. The number behind that claim, a 17 percent jump in earnings this past quarter. The company credited the recovering housing market in the U.S. and said spending by both contractors and regular customers was up.
Home Depot's main rival is benefitting even more from the housing recovery and strong demand for home refurbishing. Today, Lowe's reported a 26 percent rise in profits this past quarter. Both companies topped analyst's expectations. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.