Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Wed August 21, 2013
Earnings Report On Home Depot And J.C. Penney
Originally published on Wed August 21, 2013 11:03 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
NPR's business news starts with some home improvement.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
MONTAGNE: Home Depot says it had one of the best quarters in recent history. The number behind that claim, a 17 percent jump in earnings this past quarter. The company credited the recovering housing market in the U.S. and said spending by both contractors and regular customers was up.
Home Depot's main rival is benefitting even more from the housing recovery and strong demand for home refurbishing. Today, Lowe's reported a 26 percent rise in profits this past quarter. Both companies topped analyst's expectations. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.