Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Tue November 19, 2013
Business Executive Seeking 6th District Nomination
A Birmingham business executive says he's running for Congress in central Alabama.
Will Brooke announced his Republican candidacy for the 6th District congressional seat on Tuesday.
The 57-year-old Brooke is at least the fourth person to seek the seat now held by Rep. Spencer Bachus, who isn't seeking re-election next year.
Brooke says "job one" in Washington is cutting federal spending. He says a good first step would be replacing President Obama's health care law with a market-based solution.
Brooke is executive vice president and managing partner of Harbert Management Corp., which he helped found 20 years ago. The company is an asset management firm in Birmingham, and Brooke is responsible for venture capital funds.
Brooke also is chairman of the Birmingham-based Harbert Realty Services.
6th District Election