Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
2013 Legislative Session
Mon May 6, 2013
Budgets Priority for Alabama Lawmakers
The Alabama Legislature enters the final three days of the 2013 legislative session with the main priority being passage of the education and General Fund budgets.
Passage of the two budgets are the only tasks lawmakers are constitutionally required to complete before the end of the regular session, expected to be May 20.
Senate Finance Chairman Rep. Trip Pittman says he plans to bring up the education budget on Tuesday. The Daphne Republican says the main areas of disagreement are the size of a pay raise for educators and how much money to set aside to repay money the state has borrowed from a state savings account.
House Speaker Mike Hubbard said the session has been successful and most items on the Republican leadership priority list have passed.