Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
2013 Legislative Session
Mon April 1, 2013
Budget a Priority for Legislature in 2nd Half
The Alabama Legislature begins the second half of its 2013 session on Tuesday.
Gov. Robert Bentley says his priority for the second half is passing balanced budgets. The former House representative says that's the Legislature's only constitutional duty. A House committee is scheduled to begin work on the education budget Tuesday. The Senate has already approved the General Fund budget and sent it to a House committee.
Bentley says his other priorities include bills restructuring the state Medicaid program and providing new legal protection to the Airbus plant being built in Mobile. Bentley says placing limits on lawsuits against large planes built in Alabama is crucial to attracting more suppliers.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.