Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
2013 Legislative Session
Mon April 1, 2013
Budget a Priority for Legislature in 2nd Half
The Alabama Legislature begins the second half of its 2013 session on Tuesday.
Gov. Robert Bentley says his priority for the second half is passing balanced budgets. The former House representative says that's the Legislature's only constitutional duty. A House committee is scheduled to begin work on the education budget Tuesday. The Senate has already approved the General Fund budget and sent it to a House committee.
Bentley says his other priorities include bills restructuring the state Medicaid program and providing new legal protection to the Airbus plant being built in Mobile. Bentley says placing limits on lawsuits against large planes built in Alabama is crucial to attracting more suppliers.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.