Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed June 20, 2012
Budget Cuts Curb Lawmakers' Trips
Montgomery, AL – Alabama legislators aren't getting to attend national and regional conventions at state expense this summer.
House Speaker Mike Hubbard and Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey have told legislators that they won't approve travel requests for the remainder of the fiscal year because budget cuts have put a serious strain on legislative operations. That includes a 10.6 percent cut the governor ordered for all state programs in March because state revenues were falling behind appropriations.
Summer is normally prime time for legislators to attend national and regional conventions. Legislators can still attend conventions if they pay their own way.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)