Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Around the Nation
Tue July 8, 2014
Buddhist Monks Face Jail Time For July 4 Fireworks Display
Originally published on Tue July 8, 2014 8:51 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep with continuing coverage of last week's fireworks. Albuquerque authorities discovered an unauthorized fireworks show. The city had imposed restrictions because of fire danger. The perpetrators at least have the best excuse ever. The show was at a Buddhist temple. Buddhist monks say they didn't know of the fireworks ban since they do not watch TV, listen to the radio or read the news. They still face possible fines or jail. Ignorance is not innocence. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.