Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
Politics & Government
Sat October 19, 2013
Bradley Byrne gets more backing for Mobile Congressional campaign
MOBILE, Ala. (AP) — Former two-year college Chancellor Bradley Byrne is drawing support in the 1st Congressional District race from two people who previously held the job. Former Rep. Jo Bonner, who resigned in August, and former Rep. Jack Edwards, who held the seat from 1965 to 1985, are the hosts for a campaign fundraiser for Byrne on Oct. 22 in Mobile. Bonner did not endorse anyone in the Republican primary last month. But told al.com that he decided to back Byrne in the Republican runoff because he's a man of character, and he has a record of fighting corruption and bringing jobs to south Alabama. Byrne faces Orange Beach businessman Dean Young in the runoff Nov. 5.