Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
Wed November 20, 2013
Blue Cross Won't Reinstate Non-Compliant Policies
Alabama's largest health insurance company, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, says it won't reinstate health plans that don't comply with the federal health care law.
Blue Cross made the announcement Wednesday in response to the president's remarks last week that consumers should be allowed to renew individual plans slated to end under the federal law.
Blue Cross officials say the temporary reinstatement of policies that don't comply with the Affordable Care Act would create dual classes of policyholders. The company also said it would destabilize the state's insurance market and the risk pools associated with the health plans.
Blue Cross has 87,000 policyholders in Alabama with plans that didn't comply with the federal law and are being moved to new policies.