Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Tue August 14, 2012
Blind Stokers Club In San Diego, Calif.
In tandem bicycle lingo, the captain is in the front, the stoker in the back.
The San Diego-based Blind Stokers Club, founded by Dave White, pairs sighted captains with blind stokers on high performance tandem bikes. As part of a year-round cycling program, members train for Cycling for Sight, a three-day, 200-mile event that benefits the San Diego Center for the Blind.
Stoker David Kuttnauer, who lost his vision three years ago from congenital glaucoma, says that Dave White works tirelessly to make the BSC successful so "it can offer the joy of riding to those who have lost eyesight."