Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Fri April 30, 2004
Blackberry is Alabama's Official Fruit
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – The blackberry is Alabama's official fruit. The state House gave final passage to the bill Thursday. The issue has been on the minds of third and fourth graders at Fairhope Elementary School for the past two years. Third-grade teachers Susan Sims and Amy Jones say Governor Bob Riley plans to visit the school tomorrow morning to meet with the students and sign the bill into law. The blackberry grows in all 67 Alabama counties. The students also got an education in politics. Some lawmakers made several attempts to amend the bill to include their own favorite fruits and vegetables for recognition.