Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Thu July 25, 2013
Birmingham School System Put On Probation
The Birmingham School System has been put on probation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
School system officials said Thursday that although probation is a serious matter for the district, all of its schools are still accredited for the time being.
The accreditation agency sent a review team to Birmingham in mid-May and a report outlined micro management among other issues in the school district.
Birmingham Schools Superintendent Craig Witherspoon says the district has already started implementing some of the accreditation agency's recommendations.
WBRC-TV reports the district will be on probation for at least six months and the system will be reviewed again Feb. 15, 2014.
Birmingham School Closings