Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Birmingham Schools Closing
Wed March 13, 2013
Birmingham Board Approves Plan to Close Schools
The Birmingham school board has approved a cost savings plan that calls for closing seven schools and laying off 90 employees.
WBRC-TV reports (http://bit.ly/10DrSJj) that 19 employees in the central office and 71 workers across the system will be laid off.
The schools that will be closed are Center Street Middle School; Councill K-5; Daniel Payne Middle School; Hemphill Pre-K-5; Lewis Elementary School; Norwood K-5; and North Roebuck Elementary School.
The Birmingham Board of Education proposed that Lewis and Norwood students would consolidate and be housed at the old Kirby Elementary School, which is now vacant, as long as officials deem it habitable.
After considering community concerns in a series of meetings, the school board has abandoned the plans to consolidate Carver or Woodlawn high schools.
Information from: WBRC-TV, http://www.myfoxal.com/
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Birmingham School Closings