Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Tue October 8, 2013
Birmingham-Area Surgeon To Run For House Seat
A Birmingham-area orthopedic surgeon says he will run for the 6th District congressional seat now held by Rep. Spencer Bachus.
Dr. Chad Mathis of Indian Springs said Tuesday he will seek the Republican nomination for the position.
Bachus recently announced he won't seek re-election next year. He has represented the district since 1993 and is the senior member of Alabama's House delegation.
Mathis says he wants to repeal the nation's new health care law and hold the line on spending while reducing spending.
He says he went to Texas last year to volunteer in the campaign of Sen. Ted Cruz, a leading Tea Party opponent of the health care law in Washington.
The 6th District seat includes much of metro Birmingham excluding the city itself.
6th District Election
Spencer Bachus Retires