Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Gambling bill hearing, potential mental health cuts and Alzheimer's research
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
Mon March 11, 2013
Birmingham Airport Opening Revamped Terminal
Alabama's largest airport is ready to begin operating from its revamped terminal.
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth airport is opening the renovated terminal on Wednesday. Improvements include better parking, a centralized checkpoint between concourses, new concessions and a recreation area for young families.
The project is the first part of a more than $200 million expansion and upgrade to incorporate new security standards.
The Birmingham Airport Authority says it will have people on hand to assist passengers visiting the renovated terminal for the first time.
Officials also are suggesting that passengers arrive at least 90 minutes before a flight for check-in and security screening.
The airport will continue operating from its current terminal until the last flight on Tuesday.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport