Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed September 17, 2003
Bill would make contract employees first to go
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – A legislative committee is trying to make sure merit system employees aren't the first to lose their jobs in the current budget crisis. The Senate Economic Expansion and Trade Committee approved a bill today that would require state agencies to lay off contract employees first. Senator Roger Bedford proposed the bill. He says he submitted it because there is a good chance layoffs will affect several state agencies. Bedford says contract employees should be released before veteran state workers are laid off. The bill passed the committee four-to-nothing and now goes to the full Senate for consideration.