Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Sat July 27, 2013
Bicyclists Hit Tuscaloosa Streets for Hot Hundred
Some 600 bicyclists will be taking to the streets in Tuscaloosa for the 11th annual Hot Hundred on Saturday.
AL.com reports (http://bit.ly/13aHPdC ) the event is so named because it's rarely not hot in Alabama in late July and one of the routes includes a 103-mile trek in and around Tuscaloosa.
The race starts at 7 a.m. and includes five courses, which start at 29 or 36 miles and go up from there.
Forecasters are calling for a 50 percent chance of rain but event organizers say it will be held rain or shine unless there is a threat of severe weather.
Proceeds benefit the Tuscaloosa Community Mental Health Task Force and the Druid City Bike Club. Organizers say the event raised more than $10,000 for the task force last year.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.