Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
Politics & Government
Fri January 31, 2014
Bentley: Don't Play the Blame Game
Gov. Robert Bentley says people shouldn't be playing the blame game for the epic ice storm that caught Birmingham off guard, stranding motorists on interstates and students in schools.
Bentley said Thursday schools and emergency officials made plans off forecasts that predicted the worst of the weather would hit about 100 miles south of Alabama's largest city. The state moved resources south to prepare for snow in Montgomery and ice in lower Alabama.
The governor says there was little warning before the swift-moving storm slapped Jefferson and Shelby counties. Bentley says things have gone as well as they can in an unexpected situation.
The governor says people shouldn't be blaming meteorologists either. He says it's not their fault if forecast models were incorrect.