Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Thu January 22, 2004
Bedford Asked to Leave Committee Post
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – State Senate Floor Leader Jeff Enfinger sent a letter to other senators urging them to support a change on a powerful senate committee. Enfinger says fellow Democratic Senator Roger Bedford should step down as chairman of the Senate Finance and Taxation-General Fund Committee. Enfinger says Bedford has a history of using pass-through pork, and that reputation has damaged the Legislature's credibility. Bedford served as the committee's chairman from 1999 to 2002, and is expected to hold the position again this year and next year. He says under his leadership, the General Fund budgets have been in good condition.