Most Active Stories
- Saudi Airstrikes Raise Doubts Abroad, Spark Patriotic Fervor At Home
- "Spice" patients increasing, Test confirms marijuana brownies, Battle of Selma re-enactment
- Why Don't Ants Need A Leader?
- Lear denies allegations, The Great Invisible and new Little Lagoon Bridge
- Bentley on state budget, Alabama Nature Conservancy and new round of BP recovery funding
Thu January 22, 2004
Bedford Asked to Leave Committee Post
By Alabama Public Radio
Montgomery, AL – State Senate Floor Leader Jeff Enfinger sent a letter to other senators urging them to support a change on a powerful senate committee. Enfinger says fellow Democratic Senator Roger Bedford should step down as chairman of the Senate Finance and Taxation-General Fund Committee. Enfinger says Bedford has a history of using pass-through pork, and that reputation has damaged the Legislature's credibility. Bedford served as the committee's chairman from 1999 to 2002, and is expected to hold the position again this year and next year. He says under his leadership, the General Fund budgets have been in good condition.