Most Active Stories
- Updated: Future of Wind Power in Alabama at a Defining Moment
- Adapted Athletics in Alabama Part 1: The Rolling Tide
- Understanding How Employers May Change Your Retirement Fund
- Hard Times at the Mill: International Paper to Close Courtland Facility
- Bill Would Allow Loaded Guns in Cars Without Concealed Carry Permit
Mon June 4, 2012
Ban On Public Smoking Takes Effect In Birmingham
Birmingham, AL – Birmingham's new smoking ban is now in effect.
The ordinance prohibits smoking in virtually all public places, including bars. But it goes a step further and also restricts smoking outside of businesses.
While the sight of smokers standing around outside doors of downtown buildings is common, it may be a thing of the past. That's because smokers must now be at least seven feet from any public entrance, and businesses are required to post ``No Smoking'' signs.
Violators can be fined $50, and businesses face a $100 fine.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)