Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Mon June 4, 2012
Ban On Public Smoking Takes Effect In Birmingham
Birmingham, AL – Birmingham's new smoking ban is now in effect.
The ordinance prohibits smoking in virtually all public places, including bars. But it goes a step further and also restricts smoking outside of businesses.
While the sight of smokers standing around outside doors of downtown buildings is common, it may be a thing of the past. That's because smokers must now be at least seven feet from any public entrance, and businesses are required to post ``No Smoking'' signs.
Violators can be fined $50, and businesses face a $100 fine.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)