Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Politics & Government
Wed August 7, 2013
Baldwin County Commission Votes to Ban Wind Farms
A south Alabama county commission has voted unanimously to block a company from installing wind turbines.
AL.com reports the Baldwin County Commission (http://bit.ly/1eqihen ) passed two ordinances Tuesday to ban wind farming. One ordinance applies to areas of Baldwin County that fall within zoning regulations, and the other applies to unincorporated areas.
The commission was concerned about a plan from Virginia-based APEX Wind Energy to build a wind farm in the county consisting of about 40 turbines.
The commission passed a 180-day moratorium in February to block construction of the wind farm - and any other wind-operated facilities - while they considered the potential impacts.
Officials have said concerns included noise pollution from the turbines, the size of the turbines and dangers they may have posed to flocks of migratory birds.