Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Arts & Life
Fri December 14, 2012
Authorities Identify Man Who Shot Himself Inside Ala. Courthouse
Authorities identify the man who shot himself inside an Alabama federal courthouse as 50-year-old building services director David Lee Williams of Birmingham.
Officials say he went through an employee entrance Thursday to avoid a security check that could have caught the gun.
The U.S. Marshals Service says the worker used an access card to enter the Hugo L. Black U.S. Courthouse in Birmingham. The card system is being used at times while renovation work is done on the main entrance.
A police spokesman says the worker shot himself once in the head in a first-floor clerk's office. Police say no one else in the building was threatened.
Officials say courthouse procedures are under review after the shooting.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.