Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Arts & Life
Fri December 14, 2012
Authorities Identify Man Who Shot Himself Inside Ala. Courthouse
Authorities identify the man who shot himself inside an Alabama federal courthouse as 50-year-old building services director David Lee Williams of Birmingham.
Officials say he went through an employee entrance Thursday to avoid a security check that could have caught the gun.
The U.S. Marshals Service says the worker used an access card to enter the Hugo L. Black U.S. Courthouse in Birmingham. The card system is being used at times while renovation work is done on the main entrance.
A police spokesman says the worker shot himself once in the head in a first-floor clerk's office. Police say no one else in the building was threatened.
Officials say courthouse procedures are under review after the shooting.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.