Most Active Stories
- Auto workers petition to block UAW, 2015 red snapper season and Cycling League state championship
- Restraining order against Lear Corp, First Lady at Tuskegee and Tallapoosa County tax vote
- Red Snapper Season, Alabama High School Cycling League
- Where Poor Kids Grow Up Makes A Huge Difference
- Texas Governor Deploys State Guard To Stave Off Obama Takeover
Austal Adds Jobs
Tue August 14, 2012
Austal USA To Add 1,000 Jobs At Mobile Shipyard
Alabama's governor says the state will provide $5 million and job training to Austal USA to help the shipbuilder add up to 1,000 jobs in Mobile.
Gov. Robert Bentley was in Mobile on Tuesday to announce an agreement with the Australia-based shipbuilder.
The agreement calls for the state to provide $1 million a year for five years, which will help with the expansion of the Mobile complex.
In addition, the company will receive employee training from the Alabama Industrial Development Training program. State officials said Austal is already planning to expand its workforce from 3,000 to 3,600.
The agreement announced Tuesday should boost it to 4,600.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.