Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Toomer's Corner Oak Trees
Mon March 25, 2013
Auburn Plans Commemorative Items from Oaks
Auburn University plans to turn portions of the poisoned oaks at Toomer's Corner into commemorative items.
The vice president of Auburn Alumni Affairs, Debbie Shaw, told al.com the items will be at numerous price points.
Fans can roll the trees for the final time at an A-Day ceremony on April 20. Shaw said the trees will be removed April 23. After that, Auburn will install three concrete poles with wires 3 to 4 inches apart for fans to roll while plans are made to renovate the corner.
The University of Alabama fan who poisoned the iconic trees, Harvey Updyke Jr., pleaded guilty Friday to criminal damage of an agriculture facility. He got a sentence that requires him to spend six months in jail and five years on supervised probation.
Information from: The Birmingham News, http://www.al.com/birminghamnews
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Auburn Toomer's Corner
Auburn Trees Poisoned
Arts & Life
Arts & Life