Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Toomer's Corner Oak Trees
Mon March 25, 2013
Auburn Plans Commemorative Items from Oaks
Auburn University plans to turn portions of the poisoned oaks at Toomer's Corner into commemorative items.
The vice president of Auburn Alumni Affairs, Debbie Shaw, told al.com the items will be at numerous price points.
Fans can roll the trees for the final time at an A-Day ceremony on April 20. Shaw said the trees will be removed April 23. After that, Auburn will install three concrete poles with wires 3 to 4 inches apart for fans to roll while plans are made to renovate the corner.
The University of Alabama fan who poisoned the iconic trees, Harvey Updyke Jr., pleaded guilty Friday to criminal damage of an agriculture facility. He got a sentence that requires him to spend six months in jail and five years on supervised probation.
Information from: The Birmingham News, http://www.al.com/birminghamnews
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Auburn Toomer's Corner
Auburn Trees Poisoned
Arts & Life
Arts & Life