Most Active Stories
- Montgomery may ban smoking, Sirius-XM settlement
- Governor Bentley Challenges Legislators to Lead on Budget Crisis
- Alabama GOP Chief: "No Third term," Airbus is hiring
- High School Graduation rate improves, Montgomery "no smoking" ban
- Tough State Budget Choices, and an Eating detector for the holidays?
Arts & Life
Mon November 26, 2012
Auburn Fires Gene Chizik After 3-9 season
Auburn has fired coach Gene Chizik.
Auburn announced Sunday that Chizik was dismissed two years after leading the Tigers to their first national title since 1957. The Tigers closed with a 49-0 loss to No. 2 Alabama that was the second-most lopsided Iron Bowl game ever and worst since 1948.
The move came after a 3-9 season without any Southeastern Conference wins. It was the most losses by an Auburn team since an 0-10 season in 1950.
Chizik had three years left on a contract worth $3.5 million annually. The announcement came after a team meeting.
The Tigers were outscored 150-21 in their final three SEC games.
He finished 33-19 and 15-17 in SEC games.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.