Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Arts & Life
Mon November 26, 2012
Auburn Fires Gene Chizik After 3-9 season
Auburn has fired coach Gene Chizik.
Auburn announced Sunday that Chizik was dismissed two years after leading the Tigers to their first national title since 1957. The Tigers closed with a 49-0 loss to No. 2 Alabama that was the second-most lopsided Iron Bowl game ever and worst since 1948.
The move came after a 3-9 season without any Southeastern Conference wins. It was the most losses by an Auburn team since an 0-10 season in 1950.
Chizik had three years left on a contract worth $3.5 million annually. The announcement came after a team meeting.
The Tigers were outscored 150-21 in their final three SEC games.
He finished 33-19 and 15-17 in SEC games.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.