Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Madison police officer trial moved up, Kick Butts Day, Charter school legislation
Wed November 5, 2003
Auburn Delays Smoking Ban
By Alabama Public Radio
Auburn, AL – Auburn businesses will have an extra two years to comply with a new city ordinance banning smoking in all indoor public places. The Auburn City Council passed an ordinance two weeks ago that would have prohibited smoking in public places by August first 2005. But the council voted Tuesday to delay enforcement and will now wait until August first 2007 to implement the change. Auburn Mayor Bill Ham Junior suggested the extension because he says he was concerned about the ordinance's possible impact on the city's small business owners.