Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Thu March 21, 2013
Auburn Council Sets Date for Toomer's Oaks Removal
The Auburn City Council has set April 23 as the date when the iconic Toomer's Oaks at Auburn University will be removed.
The Opelika-Auburn News reports removal of the trees will require closing city streets in the area.
City Manager Charlie Duggan said the removal has tentatively been set for 7 a.m. to noon on April 23, but the time is subject to change depending on weather and how long the removal takes.
University of Alabama fan Harvey Updyke is accused of poisoning the Toomer's Corner oak trees during Auburn's run to the national championship in the 2010 football season.
Updyke has pleaded not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect to charges that include desecrating a venerable object. A trial is set to begin April 8.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Auburn Toomer's Corner
Auburn Trees Poisoned
Arts & Life
Arts & Life