Most Active Stories
- Siegelman Denied New Trial, Mental Health Budget Concerns
- Layoffs for Alabama Workers, Solar Sail Set to Launch
- Granade Issues Same-Sex Ruling, Busy Travel Weekend Expected
- Historian Says Don't 'Sanitize' How Our Government Created Ghettos
- Biden comments on civil rights and Selma, Bloody Sunday anniversary, Montgomery music premiere
Electronic Bingo Raid
Wed July 25, 2012
Atty. General Raids Dothan's Center Stage Casino
State and local law enforcement have raided Center Stage casino near Dothan and seized several hundred machines.
State Attorney General Luther Strange announced that his office worked with the Houston County sheriff and district attorney to serve a search warrant Wednesday morning that resulted from an ongoing investigation of illegal gambling.
Center Stage replaced Country Crossing, which was closed during former Gov. Bob Riley's crackdown on gambling. The new casino opened last year with machines it described as legal electronic bingo. Strange said the raid was carried out after Center Stage refused to surrender some of its machines and let a court determine their legality and after the casino refused his directions to cease operating the games.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)