Most Active Stories
- London Mayor Boris Johnson Settles U.S. Tax Bill Ahead Of Visit
- National School Choice rally, surplus auction and Huntsville desegregation
- Same sex marriage ban still in place, Tuscaloosa celebrates Deontay Wilder
- Girl Scout Cookies, Obamacare, Hospital Shutdown
- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore Speaks Out on Same Sex Marriage Ruling
Electronic Bingo Raid
Wed July 25, 2012
Atty. General Raids Dothan's Center Stage Casino
State and local law enforcement have raided Center Stage casino near Dothan and seized several hundred machines.
State Attorney General Luther Strange announced that his office worked with the Houston County sheriff and district attorney to serve a search warrant Wednesday morning that resulted from an ongoing investigation of illegal gambling.
Center Stage replaced Country Crossing, which was closed during former Gov. Bob Riley's crackdown on gambling. The new casino opened last year with machines it described as legal electronic bingo. Strange said the raid was carried out after Center Stage refused to surrender some of its machines and let a court determine their legality and after the casino refused his directions to cease operating the games.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)