Most Active Stories
- "More Bridges to Cross..."
- 'Biblical marriage' rally planned in Dothan
- Charter school bill in House, prison reform bill headed to Senate, and kids "Kick Butts"
- Garrard sentencing begins, Affordable Care Act anniversary and colorectal cancer awareness month
- "My favorite story..." by Kathryn Tucker Windham's daughter...
Mon August 18, 2014
ASU Using Grant To Form Data Analytics Program
Alabama State University officials say they're planning to use a National Science Foundation grant to establish a data analytics lab.
University officials said in a release Monday that the school will use the $399,000 grant to focus on "big data," a term that's increasingly used to describe a volume of data so large and complex that it's difficult to interpret using standard database and software techniques.
Officials say the university will partner with Auburn University on a research project aimed at infusing data analytics in mathematics and statistics courses.
Officials say many in-demand science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers require technical skills for handling and analyzing big data, but undergraduate courses aren't typically equipped to provide adequate training in that area.