Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Alabama Governor Robert Bentley releases statement on gay marriage ruling
Mon August 18, 2014
ASU Using Grant To Form Data Analytics Program
Alabama State University officials say they're planning to use a National Science Foundation grant to establish a data analytics lab.
University officials said in a release Monday that the school will use the $399,000 grant to focus on "big data," a term that's increasingly used to describe a volume of data so large and complex that it's difficult to interpret using standard database and software techniques.
Officials say the university will partner with Auburn University on a research project aimed at infusing data analytics in mathematics and statistics courses.
Officials say many in-demand science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers require technical skills for handling and analyzing big data, but undergraduate courses aren't typically equipped to provide adequate training in that area.