Most Active Stories
- Equality in Alabama? Same-Sex Marriage Reactions
- Alabama Universities Receive Accreditation Warning
- Same-Sex Marriage couples having trouble getting marriage licenses, Veteran honored in Sylacauga
- Alabama's Reaction to U.S. Supreme Court's ruling on Same Sex Marriage, Child Care sickness suits
- Tama the Stationmaster Cat
Wed July 31, 2013
ASU To Implement Temporary Smoking Ban
The president of Alabama State University says he's looking to implement a temporary smoking ban.
University President William Harris says that he's going to use executive authority to temporarily ban the use of all tobacco products on campus.
He says science has proven "that smoking causes grave difficulties to health," and university officials want students and staff to be as healthy as possible.
Alabama State University officials are considering a permanent policy to ban tobacco use on campus - including smokeless tobacco and electronic cigarettes. The board of trustees is expected to decide on that policy in September.
Alabama State is at least the second public school in the state to ban smoking on campus. Auburn University has also implemented a similar ban.